Thursday, March 1, 2018

Project Baby: What now?

My period finally came.  And boy did it arrive with a vengeance!  Not having regular cycles I forget what I'm in store for.  Oof.  Add the hormonal wave and it's been a fun week!


With my period came the next doctor appointment.  Baseline ultrasound on Day 3 of my cycle to take a peek and see what's happening in there.  That was today, and my uterine lining is still at a 9.  For those that don't know: that's pretty thick and I've been warned that I might be in for a long one. Lovely!  Everything else looked fine and it was really quick in and out of the stirrups, and time for a conversation with the next nurse.

One of the rooms.  All ultrasounds are done trans-vaginal at this stage, so at least they warm the wand!

My view as I lay there in position.  Each room has different designs, today it was the mossy green

The plan: days 5-9 I take Femara (this will tell my lonely ovary to produce one or more eggs).  Day 8 I need to go back for a saline infused sonogram (saline is injected into my uterus to glow on screen and illustrate the condition of my uterus and show if there are any fibroids -- hopefully there are none).  This is another diagnostic test they can perform, and probably the only thing covered by my insurance. Day 10 I go back for the next ultrasound and see if anything is cooking; we hope for at least one or more follicles to measure at a 20 as that indicates maturity.  But we're getting ahead of ourselves.  For now, ride this 'flow' out and start Rx meds accordingly.

A little blood work to run beta HCG ... again
Right in the wrist!  So tender today - I didn't think blood work was on the docket so didn't pregame with water ... whoops

I also got an updated estimate for this endeavor.  It was staggering.  I knew this wouldn't be cheap, but right now we're looking at $1,246 per cycle for just ultrasounds & insemination.  That does not include any medications, or the semen prep.  Holy crap.  I took for granted the insurance coverage I had before, paying only for medications and Dave's portion of each cycle.

I don't know how we're going to pay for this.  The time I have with Dave and our pups, not to mention the rest of our family and friends, is invaluable to me.  I hate the idea of working 60+ hours a week between a FT and PT job -- the time away from them is too precious.  Especially when there are no guarantees this will even work.

So, that's where we're at tonight.  I don't know if we keep going since we've already started, or put the breaks on now.  When we got married I picked up a part-time job to pay for our wedding -- totally worth it but I'm tired of having to work so damn hard at everything.

When will it get easier?  When do we catch a break?

I have a lot of questions tonight, and not a lot of answers.  Today wasn't a good day.

xoxo

In a state with no required fertility coverage it takes a village to get it done - if you'd like to donate here's the link:
https://www.gofundme.com/projectbabyc

No comments:

Post a Comment