Sunday, March 11, 2018

Project Baby: Deja vu

Sunday after Daylight Saving Time.  8am came really, really early.  Groggily I got up, got dressed, and left to head to the doctor.  Being so early on a Sunday morning I again expected a quiet waiting room.  It was the opposite, and from what I could tell based on staff and client mix there were a lot of egg retrievals going on today. 

I always wonder about strangers, what their lives are like and what their stories are - but especially so at the baby doctor.  I can tell the newbies from the veterans - if it's husband and wife in together with a stack of papers those are the new folks.  They are just starting and have no idea what lies ahead.  Not dissimilar from those of us who have been around the block before - but most of us fly solo on appointments these days.  There are too many for both partners to attend them all.  It's like having a part time job with on-call hours only. 

We're all linked in this same quest for children.  I have yet to see the same woman or couple twice, so haven't made any new friends.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  Sometimes when you have a problem or hardship you don't want to dwell on it and having a friend where that's the only thing you have in common could be consuming.  Still, it would be nice to be friendly with a couple in the same boat -- there are so many details and feelings that can be hard to convey to folks who haven't done this before.  But everyone keeps to themselves here, not a lot of chatter even among couples.  Nerves and anxiety equal silence.

With all the activity I had a longer than usual wait today.  Thankfully I didn't have anywhere else to be, so I just sat and listed to the music.  Being a medical facility they have a lot of equipment in use, and there are two table lamps in the waiting room that surge from time to time.  It's a subtle flickering, I imagine them sharing the same circuit as one of the high-perf machines; when that goes on these get stressed a little.  I wonder if anyone else who comes through this waiting room notices that they flicker sporadically?

Time to go back for my ultrasound.  Another new-to-me nurse today, she's really bubbly and seems like a chatter.  I like how friendly the staff are here, it makes it pleasant to come to appointments and you feel like they really do care about the success of your treatment.  We go to Room 5, first time in this room this time around!  There are no floral ceiling panels here, which is how I know I've been in it before.

Bright lights, big city
Time to look and see what I've been working on since yesterday's ultrasound.  Lining is measuring at a 6mm today (that's the minimum to provide ample depth for a fertilized egg to burrow into - yay!).  A few follicles to measure today:
1 = 16.1mm
2 = 11.2mm
3 = 11.4mm
4 = 10.6mm

Today's stats

So, the big one from yesterday didn't do much in a day, but I've now got 3 more that are measurable and could also produce eggs.  These are ones to watch as I might produce multiple eggs this cycle now.  There are a few smalls too, so the gang is all here.  Since none are still quite to 19mm, they want to see me again tomorrow.  We're going to go 3 for 3 and should have a definitive answer on when to trigger shot it up.  One more day.

So, here's to tomorrow.  And to all the couples that I saw this morning: I hope you get good news soon - I hope we all do.

xoxo


In a state with no required fertility coverage it takes a village to get it done - if you'd like to donate here's the link:
https://www.gofundme.com/projectbabyc

No comments:

Post a Comment