Thursday, March 8, 2018

Project Baby: A dollop of a polyp

Today is Day 10 of Cycle 1.  During our latest conference with our RE he wanted me to schedule a saline infused sonogram.  A SIS would give him an inside peek into the shape of my uterus and if there are any polyps or fibroids that could hinder my ability to get, and stay, pregnant.  There was a very specific window of time to complete this (between days 6-12 of my cycle) so the same day as my baseline ultrasound I scheduled this procedure.


My SIS happened on Tuesday.  I had no idea what to expect, and wasn't given any instructions beforehand.  I walked in blind, and boy I wish I would have looked it up first.  It was one of the most painful, uncomfortable procedures I've had done during this entire process so far.  That includes the HSG, all the shots, and all the blood work.

The procedure is relatively quick, and my discomfort was by no means a result of my doctor or nurse.  It was just a really uncomfortable process for me.  I had just finished my period, so had some residual spotting, but nothing of enough substance that would prohibit this from happening.  I got to the doctor's office, checked in, and was brought to the ultrasound room.  Undress from the waist down, and have a seat on the table.  The nurse will be back in a minute with my doctor.

Stirrups - so we meet again...with some fun Easter socks today!
The supplies for today's SIS neatly laid out for me to snoop on and photo LOL

They return and it's time to start.  A speculum is inserted, followed by a clamp to stabilize my cervix (have you ever had the insides of your body clamped to hold in place?  I could feel the pinch inside and it was so strange.  And it was very much a pinch.  I don't recommend it for recreation purposes); swab of iodine on the opening of my cervix to sterilize; sterilization of the catheter that will be inserted; then insertion of said catheter.  Up to now it's very similar to a pap smear - so far, so (relatively) good.

Diagram of a SIS pulled from: https://www.mireproductivemedicine.com/what-is-a-sonohysterogram/

Then comes time to inject the saline into my uterus.  I was told it was only approximately one tablespoon volume - but you could have told me it was a full 8 ounces and I would have believed you.  The cramping was immediate and it was intense.  It felt like the worst menstrual cramps I have ever had, but multiplied.  It wouldn't go away.  And then they needed to insert the transvaginal ultrasound wand.


Ultrasounds with this wand are not a day at the beach anyway; it's long, it's firm, and it's scoped out the most intimate parts of my reproductive system.  So, after being filled to capacity with saline, this is inserted right behind it.  To get the best images the nurse has to push on my abdomen at times -- it just goes from bad to worse.  I'm laying there trying to breath through it, and "suck it up", but I'm wishing this would be over.

My view as I lay on my back.  The light panel is different in this room than the last; this one is much more colorful!

Finally - we're done.  The instruments are removed one by one, and I can sit up.  The cramping is still intense and I just wish I could get up and leave.  But first, we need to evaluate the results.  The nurse pulls up my images and they discuss in soft tones what they saw.  There is a spot visible on one of my scans that they think might be a polyp.

A polyp is a small tissue growth (similar to finger shaped) that is the result of overactive endrometrium lining generation.  Mine appears to be on the right upper side of my uterus.

Image of normal SIS, the black triangle is the saline filled uterus
Photo from:
 http://www.advancedwomensimaging.com.au/saline-sono-hysterogram
Diagram of a uterine polyp - pulled from Mayo Clinic

The only way to treat polyps is via surgical removal.  Given that there is only one, my doctor is inclined to leave it be and monitor.  From the research I've done online the medical community seems split down the middle on whether it's believed that it could hinder pregnancy; my doctor believes in the grand scheme of things we needn't worry at this time.

So, the plan?  Continue.  Move forward.  We will try the 4 cycles, and re-evaluate (possibly including another SIS to see if it has grown or if more develop).  OK, I'm on board.

At this point I have to wonder what else could come up that would would increase my reproductive handicap.  I've only got one ovary, I've only got one Fallopian tube, I don't have regular periods, I don't ovulate on my own, I may or may not have good eggs left, and now I have a polyp.  I know things could be much worse -- but damn it they could also be so.much.better.

Every day I try to serve myself a healthy dose of optimism and hope.  Without that this process will never work - and failure is just not an option today.  Or any day.

xoxo

In a state with no required fertility coverage it takes a village to get it done - if you'd like to donate here's the link:
https://www.gofundme.com/projectbabyc

No comments:

Post a Comment