Saturday, March 1, 2014

Craft Project: DIY baptism gift

Last fall Mr. and I were invited to the baptism of his new second cousin. I've never attended one as an adult, so was at a loss for what to give as a small token to celebrate the occassion. I wracked my brain, did internet searches galore, and was coming up empty for something that really "spoke" to me. So, I decided to DIY it :)

I wanted something personalized, something meaningful, and something that would remain special to the baby as she grew up. I got the idea to go with something framed (not having kids myself I can only guess how many trinkets/toys/clothes/etc they get and I wanted to give something a little different). Given that baptism is a holy sacarement welcoming the new child into the church, I then settled on the "Lord's Prayer" as the item to frame.

I typed up the prayer and selected a very traditional font, personalized it with the baby's name and baptism date, and then jazzed it up. I went to my local craft store and found a few really pretty sets of scrapbooking stickers - one set was all crosses in various styles, and the other had religious phrases and words.

Once home I tinkered with a few different layouts and styles until I settled on an elegant cross for the center, some accent designs for the corners, and a single "Faith" embelishment for the mat around the prayer. Framed in dark wood with a note on the inside saying who it was from, and it was done!

The finished product is tasteful and meaningful - just what we were looking for!


No comments:

Post a Comment