Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Oscars!

We'll go in order of the evening, starting with the red carpet.  I am no stylist or fashion expert but I had my favorites (and hate-its) - so let's dig in!

Nude and illusion gowns were having a major moment, and we had some winners and some losers:
Cate Blanchett / Giuliana Rancic / Sarah Paulson = Winners!
 
Sally Hawkins = not so much
 
Her sleeves are too long, there is no shape to her dress (clearly she skipped the tailor), and up close the embroidery looked too heavy for her frame and the silhouette of the gown.  She was kinda channeling Bea Arthur during the taping of Maude.  Not good.  Maybe on a taller person, with an up-do, and maybe with cap sleeves instead it would work.  But then again maybe not.
 
The men brought the style old-school in white dinner jackets.  This is a trend I can get behind - they all looked good (though I wish Jared Leto would get a haircut):
Jared Leto / Matthew McConaughy / Ryan Seacrest = Winners!
 
I even think KD Lang looked phenomenal!  I haven't seen her around in awhile, so it was great to see her out and about:
Oh, wait that's Johnny Weir ... in that case this is terrible.  I know he's over-the-top but leave the white jeggings and sparkly shoes at home.  Yikes! 
 
I enjoyed Ellen's opening monologue, and Jared Leto's acceptance speech was really touching.  Lupita Nyong'o was so genuinely excited to win for Best Supporting Actress, and that's the only reason I tune in each year.  It's fun to see such elegant, successful, and famous people get so excited, like kids opening birthday or Christmas presents.  They ordered pizza, took selfies, Cate Blanchett told Julia Roberts to #suckit, and all in all I think this year's broadcast was a success.  I do have a few grievances to air:
 
1. Weird camera angles.  They placed some cameras in the audience looking somewhat toward the stage, but mainly at the backs of people's heads.  I caught it a few times and it was just odd.  Maybe they were trying to give the folks at home the illusion they are there in the audience too -- trying to pull a fast one on Big Daddy!  (you are a new bestie if you know that reference!)
 
2. The stage props looked a little too much like the giant gummy bears in the original "Willy Wonka" crossed with the robots in "I, Robot".  Admit it, you see it too:
 =
 
*Side note: They actually played "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka during Lupita's acceptance speech.  You can't make this up, it's like they knew I was watching!  Enjoy a little earwig today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pt2-F2j2g 
 
3. I love and hate the "In Memoriam" section of the Oscars for obvious reasons -- but this year they were especially mean having Bette sing "Wind Beneath My Wings" ... someone pass the tissues, I can't take it!
 
Moving on, Pharrell wore bedazzled red high-tops during his song performance - which was a sweet nod to Judy Garland.  It is the 75th Anniversary of The Wizard of Oz this year, afterall.  He was also still sporting his Dudley Do-Right hat, but this time in black.  I wish he would have worn his performance outfit on the red carpet - it was eons better than that ensemble:
 
whatthef is that??? 
 
In another homage to stars gone by, there was blazer bling like Rod Roddy's on the guys in U2 (The Edge on the far left and the unknown fellow on the far right):
 
 
I miss Rod, he brought so much flair to TPIR - figuratively and literally :)
 
OK, without further ado, here are my winners and losers in fashion:

 
My Best Dressed
1. Sandra Bullock - absolute perfection!  I want her dress, her hair, everything - she looks beautiful
2. The Divine Miss M, Bette Midler - just lovely!  Great hair, perfect amount of accessories, and I am loving red on her
3. Lupita Nyong'o - I love that pastel, bright blue on her - it's just amazing with her skin tone
 
 
My Honorable Mentions
1. Julia Roberts - I adore her always and she is getting prettier the older she gets; just love her!
2. John Stamos - need I say more?  The only thing better would have been Tom Selleck
 
My Worst Dressed
1. Anne Hathaway - this dress is better than last year, and really not terrible, but it's her entitled, arrogant attitude that really grinds my gears; that is what ruined her entire look for me (man she makes me stabby)
2. Cristin Milioti - her lips are way too dark for that dress, and her dress looks like the lining of whatever gown she was supposed to wear.  Perhaps her dress wasn't ready in time and she said "F it, I'll go in this"
3. Mrs. Chris Hemsworth - I feel terrible putting a pregnant woman on my Worst Dressed list but holy bananas this dress just does not fit her properly.  Beautiful color and the idea of the overall dress is great - but DO NOT build a waistline to hit under the very preggers baby bump, and do not make the armholes & neckline look like they just stretched out with the dress around her...so unflattering to a beautiful woman.  Put an empire waist on it and she'd be in the running for the Best Dressed list!
 
Well guys, that's all I got for this.  Hope you enjoyed my barely-existent recap, you honestly didn't miss much more than that though ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment